Netgalley Top Reviewer

Professional Reader Reviews Published 2016 NetGalley Challenge 200 Book Reviews #BookAdvocatesUnite

11 July 2017

❤❤ Trust by Kylie Scott 4 star review ❤❤

My rating: 4 of 5 stars




Being young is all about the experiences: the first time you skip school, the first time you fall in love…the first time someone holds a gun to your head.


After being held hostage during a robbery at the local convenience store, seventeen-year-old Edie finds her attitude about life shattered. Unwilling to put up with the snobbery and bullying at her private school, she enrolls at the local public high school, crossing paths with John. The boy who risked his life to save hers.




While Edie’s beginning to run wild, however, John’s just starting to settle down. After years of partying and dealing drugs with his older brother, he’s going straight—getting to class on time, and thinking about the future.



An unlikely bond grows between the two as John keeps Edie out of trouble and helps her broaden her horizons. But when he helps her out with another first—losing her virginity—their friendship gets complicated.



Meanwhile, Edie and John are pulled back into the dangerous world they narrowly escaped. They were lucky to survive the first time, but this time they have more to lose—each other.






*arc provided for an honest and unbiased review*

I'm not usually a YA fan. for me, it lacks something, not usually my cuppa. I lose interest and end up walking away. I didn't find that happening with this one. I'm also not usually a fan of when characters are in high school, again I didn't find an issue with it on this one. I think Kylie delivered a solid YA novel that even those of us who don't normally read that genre, will generally enjoy it. I'm not saying it was all peaches and cream, I did struggle with somethings but this was a rock solid YA need novel that many will enjoy.

the way this book starts off, the shock factor is definitely there. it's shocking , heartbreaking ,scary, and it completely sucks you in and makes you feel for Edie and John both. this thing that these two young kids have lived through, the things they've seen, you can't help but automatically feel for them, maybe not relate but feel for what they've endured. and you just know this is going to have a bad effect on young Edie. then you add the topping of what her best friend did, and it's going to shatter her. now here's slightly where I feel a loose end. things with Georgia. . . Edie comes a long way in this book. except with Georgia. she ignores what happens, starts standing up for herself with everyone else, except the issue with her just gets ignored and forgotten. hell, she doesn't even tell her new best friend why she has trust issues. I really, for me, needed Edie to put that behind her other than just forgetting about that person. I needed the closure. I needed her to stand up for herself and close the door to their friendship, and I need her to be the one to do it.

both of our characters grew a lot in this story. heck, it's HS how could they not. that in and of itself is a constant merry go round of change for most people. but these two, with what they went through shaping the change, they're both evolving differently. John is making a change positively and Edie is fraying at the edges. and while she does go to counseling it sure does seem like it's John who's helping her cope the most. although through this all, you have her falling in love, her mom being gone a lot and keeping secrets, also falling in love. I felt like with Edie I was just waiting for the straw that was going to break the camel's back and all the sudden she was going to break. flip her lid, lose it. fortunately I was wrong.

I also felt like John sometimes irrationally got mad at her. for wanting more for him. for wanting people to expect more from him. for wanting people to see he was trying. and yet, he was also a hypocrite there. but... again, these are kids. and I needed to remind myself of that.

i will say, though Edie was plus size or curvy, i don't know that it really impacted the story. I mean she had brief encounters with a bully here or there and some slight mentions of insecurities, but other than that... it really isn't a huge part of the story. but I did really like how she had John handle said insecurities.

I really liked what Kylie did with this storyline. I liked the way the characters coped and grew from their experience but also learned from how they were adjusting to what happened , to the trauma, to the results of the trauma. I also like the strength they found individually and together. it didn't take long for me to get sucked in to the story. I'm so glad I picked it up.


some of my favorite lines:


me too Edie, me too .....


get ready to swoon hard. when John puts in effort... he puts in effort






No comments:

Post a Comment