Netgalley Top Reviewer

Professional Reader Reviews Published 2016 NetGalley Challenge 200 Book Reviews #BookAdvocatesUnite

17 February 2016

❤❤ Combative by Jay McLean 3 star review ❤❤

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


We all play victims to our pasts; to the choices we make and the lives we create. 
They define who we are. 
And sometimes if we're lucky enough, the past stays where it belongs: in the past. 
I'm not one of the lucky ones. 
I never have been. 
Because now the past is knocking on my door, offering deals I have no choice but to take… deals that will help bring justice—not just for me, but for my brothers. 

The problem? 
The deal is a ticking time bomb. 
One I didn't know existed. 

Tick. 
Tock





I think my problem when I read a book and know its book one in a series, mentally I start off just not liking it. I feel like with Combative I wavered on the fence of liking and not liking.

Alot of this felt drawn out to me. You call it angst, I call it drawn out. There was so much left unanswered , or not answered for a very long time. again, drawn out. And I know, there are more books where these questions will be answered, but .. I don't know. I just needed something to be answered. I needed some sort of resolution of something. 

I liked our characters and their common ground backgrounds. I liked the twists that Jay threw at us through the story. and I liked how she kept us on our toes. I would have liked more focus on his fighting. It felt more like an after thought and just something he had to do, rather than a focusing point or large part of the story, to me. But I really really liked how Jay had fixed some things before the book was over. definitely liked how she did that. I needed more of that. I know we all needed Christine fixed asap.

all in all I liked it. maybe not my favorite JM story, but definitely a good one. To me, it was okay, I just needed more without having to depend on another book.

~GET YOUR COPY TODAY~

Pre-order book 2- REDEMPTIVE - today!



No comments:

Post a Comment