Netgalley Top Reviewer

Professional Reader Reviews Published 2016 NetGalley Challenge 200 Book Reviews #BookAdvocatesUnite

31 March 2016

❤❤ STARTING OVER by Barbie Bohrman 3.5 star review ❤❤

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars






Single mom Vanessa Holt has a daughter she loves, a supportive family, and her art. Having given up on finding true love—if that even exists, which she doubts—she’s content to put romance on the back burner. But not everyone agrees. Those nearest and dearest are ready to see Vanessa let down her long blonde hair and have some fun.

To put their grumbling to rest, Vanessa agrees to go on a date with the next man who asks. Luckily for her, that man is Cameron Thomas, her daughter’s extremely handsome science teacher. She’d felt a spark of chemistry the first time she’d laid eyes on him. Now she’s ready to lay a whole lot more on the sexy bachelor.

But just as things get hot, they also get heavy. When the man who broke Vanessa’s heart reappears, her old doubts and fears about love rush to the surface. Will her fresh start with Cameron be over before it’s barely begun?






*paperback copy won from Goodreads giveaway*

I could relate to this book on a real level. I mean this will be my life in a few years, trying to date as a single mom. the feelings Vanessa had, her thought processes, they were very realistic to me. I related to the character, the storyline, and almost everything about this- minus my daughters age. so I really liked that about this book. it may be fiction, but it was still so strongly rooted in reality.

the one thing I tended to struggle with is that we spent alot, A LOT, of time in Vanessas head. and while most of the time, it doesn't hurt the story, I found myself skimming some of these parts. the woman is a rambler, her words not mine, but it's true and not just when she's around people. when we got in her head, some of the internal monologues seemed to just drag and drag. and most of the time, they were about, revolved around, or linked to her ex in some way. and I get why, but lord by 80% of the book it started to feel a little like beating a dead horse.

the finally, finally, someone breaks the cycle and it wasn't who I thought it would be. so yay for that.

it was cute to read about a regular middle aged woman dating. most romance novels are young women, and these billionaire men. but this book kept with its realistic roots and we have a school teacher and a single mom.

i really liked the writing and story, just think a little less internal monologue would've been best.

3.5 stars from me

~~GET YOUR COPY TODAY~~



No comments:

Post a Comment