Netgalley Top Reviewer

Professional Reader Reviews Published 2016 NetGalley Challenge 200 Book Reviews #BookAdvocatesUnite

08 June 2016

❤❤Across the Line by Kate Willoughby 4 Star Review❤❤

My Rating:  4 out of 5


Calder Griffin needs to get back in shape. Sidelined last season by a knee injury, he's determined to return to the San Diego Barracudas and play the best hockey of his career. This might even be the year he gets out of his talented older brother's shadow.

For months, Becca Chen has poured her energy into Cups, the restaurant she owns, desperate to prove to her parents that she can succeed in the career of her choice, not theirs. But after she spends a five-hour plane ride flirting with charming, magic-on-the-ice Calder, she tells herself she needs a fling.

Becca and Calder can't keep their hands off each other, but they know the relationship can't last. They live on opposite coasts, and they're both too devoted to their careers. All they have to do is prevent their feelings from crossing the line from lust to love…

See how Calder's teammate Tim found love in On the Surface.

Hotness Rating 3 out of 5

This second book of the In the Zone series by Kate Willoughby had me tied in knots. Across the Line was one of those books that grabs ahold of you and sucks you in from the beginning. The characters were so developed and the story had so much depth that you couldn't help but feel the emotions that these characters were feeling. 

Calder Griffin was tough, sexy, sweet, thoughtful and as stubborn as all get out. As a hockey player overcoming an injury he was focused and worked his butt off to prove himself. However, when his brother got traded to his team it was not welcome news for Calder. He held such deep resentment towards Hart for always making him feel like second best. These two tried my patience as a reader, so I can't imagine what it would have been like being their mom. I wanted to yell at them to talk it out and grow up. See? This book filled me with emotions. 

Becca Chen was driven and pretty single minded when it came to her approach to life and business. Meeting Calder and allowing time for a relationship was nowhere near what she was prepared for at this stage of her life, but it happened. I am not a huge fan of how she handled it at all. I think she was trying as much as she knew how to. In her defense, she was raised by parents that weren't exactly hands on, but she still made me crazy. Calder had done everything short of kissing her butt to keep her happy and she just didn't feel that she should give at all. She was driven I'll give her that, but she's also a control freak that caused most of their problems. At least she admitted she was being selfish, but wow. The scene where he mentioned the money he loaned to her and she blew up I just wanted to shake her and say "he wouldn't have said it if you had included him in even one step of your business". 

All of that being said once Becca woke up and saw what it was that she was losing it was explosive. The couple was really good together. Becca just needed to open her eyes and see that. I think I loved this book so much because it made me angry, it frustrated me, in short it made me feel. Everything seemed so real. I definitely recommend this book.

A 4 Star Review
Get your copy

No comments:

Post a Comment