Netgalley Top Reviewer

Professional Reader Reviews Published 2016 NetGalley Challenge 200 Book Reviews #BookAdvocatesUnite

07 June 2016

❤❤On the Surface by Kate Willoughby 4 Star Review❤❤

My Rating:  4 out of 5


NHL player Tim Hollander lost his temper one time and threw a water bottle at an abusive fan. After "Bottlegate," he's traded to the San Diego Barracudas, where he'll need to keep the bad publicity to a minimum while proving he can still compete with the younger guys on the ice.

Erin Collier is a pediatric nurse who's never seen a hockey game, but gets in line for Tim's autograph at a PR event in hopes of impressing the doctor she has a crush on. When an obnoxious fan gets pushy toward Erin, Tim rushes to defend the pretty stranger, throwing a punch in the process.

Grateful for the rescue, Erin agrees to stand by Tim during the resulting press conference and host him at a hospital charity event. Their chemistry is palpable, and soon their lives are intertwined. But Erin doubts a hockey player is capable of anything resembling a real relationship. And if Tim can't get her to see beyond what's on the surface, they'll never last longer than a single season…

Hotness Rating 3 out of 5

I bought On the Surface, book 1 of the In the Zone series, after reading the novella On the Brink (a book I was given an Advanced copy to read). Honestly, I loved the novella and was a little concerned that this series could never be as good. I was so wrong! On the Surface was everything I look for in a sports romance and so much more. 

Tim Hollander made me swoon, he made me laugh and he made me tear up. Newly traded Tim is trying real hard to overcome his media image as a hot head. Even though, in my opinion, that fan deserved so much more than a bottle being thrown at him. So, what does he do at his first public appearance as a San Diego Barracuda? He gets in a fight with a "fan". Again, it was totally deserved. After all, he assaulted a woman that was standing in line waiting for an autograph. 

Erin Collier was a great female protagonist. She was independent and strong without being abrasive. Even when she got pushed around by the guy, trying to swindle autographs just to sell them, she stood up for herself and Tim. I loved how she and Tim interacted with each other. He was thoughtful and aware of Erin's feelings and needs, without losing his tough and sexy image. I thought it was funny how even though Erin was attracted to Tim she still tried to convince herself that the Dr. O was the guy for her. 

Definitely a great read! I can not wait to read more of these uber sexy hockey players and the women that are lucky enough to be the object of their love.

A 4 Star Review for me
Get your copy today

No comments:

Post a Comment