Netgalley Top Reviewer

Professional Reader Reviews Published 2016 NetGalley Challenge 200 Book Reviews #BookAdvocatesUnite

07 February 2017

❤❤4.5 star review + EXCERPT of HOLDING ON TIGHTER by Shayla Black ❤❤ @berkleyromance



Jolie Quinn is a woman in charge. Her no-nonsense attitude has made her a rising star in the fashion world and her brand a household name among the Dallas elite. Nothing will stop her from achieving her goals—not even the gorgeous British security contractor who seems just as interested in seeing her personal assets as he is in protecting her professional ones.



After a tragedy left him broken, Heath Powell made a rule of staying unattached. But Jolie challenges him in a way he can’t ignore, and he isn’t used to backing down from a confrontation—especially when the reward for winning could feel so good. As passion blazes between them, the stubborn, confident beauty arouses more than his desire. She touches his heart.



When a mysterious enemy threatens Jolie and her company, Heath is the only person Jolie can trust to help. But working with him to save her business might put her dangerously at risk of falling in love…





*arc provided by the publisher for an honest review*

Wow. Shayla really brought the heat with this book. And I don't mean just between Heath and Jolie. I mean the heat, the drama, the danger, the psycho. It was like around every turn there was a murder attempt, a hidden note and gift that hinted at danger lurking right around the corner, right in front of their faces. And when the chips fell, when the psycho was unveiled, I couldn't believe who it was. I couldn't believe the person Shayla made the villain. It was completely unexpected. 

NOt only was the villain unexpected, but the relationship between Heath and Jolie and how quickly it heated up was definitely unexpected. She's so headstrong, strong willed, independent, and Heath is.. so alpha. It wasn't two people you would see getting along. I thought they would just butt heads. He's dominant in the bedroom and she's dominant in life, unwilling to submit to him in any way. But his mouth... Good lord Shayla, where do you think up these men with these dirty mouths....

"I intend to learn you first. Where you're sensitive, where you ache, where you're ticklish, where you liked to be touched...and where you don't. I'm going to map every inch of your flesh until I know it as well as my own name. Once I'm satisfied I can arouse you to a frenzy, then....." He dragged his lips up her neck. "Then I'll fuck you."

seriously... good lord. *fanning face* map my body please. whew

This whole story was a game of cat and mouse. If it wasn't between Heath and Jolie, it was between the pyscho and Heath and Jolie both. Twists and turns, bullets and presents... something always going on . But it was that something that pulled these two together, that woke them up, made them realize neither of them were really living. Jolie with her determination to never love, and Heath with his grief after the loss he suffered. And when they wake up, when it heats up , when the fireworks start going off, holy moly page melting hotness. 

I love Shayla Black's writing style. She has this way of just sucking you into the story and making it so involved that you can't put the book down until all cards are on the table and someone has their happily ever after. Though in this book, we are left with quite a few updates and HEAs from almost all of Shayla's characters... well, except One Mile and Cutter, and Karis.. those poor poor people need a little love. 

I will add, I don't know if you follow Ms Black on social media, but she's stated that this is the final full length book in the series. I am really really sad to see this series end, though I can understand why. For more on this, view her video here --> 
https://www.facebook.com/ShaylaBlackAuthor/videos/10154316849119786/

**************EXCERPT***********

Heath jerked back to face her and leaned in so close their noses nearly touched. “Am I wrong?”
She refused to stroll down that memory lane. “Does it matter?”
“I daresay it does. But we’ll come back to that. If you were merely mistrustful of men, you would have waited until tomorrow and delivered a well-​placed warning to keep me away from your sister.
Instead, you came after me. And when you found me with another woman, your temper flared. If I merely lived up to your expectations of being a womanizing prick, that shouldn’t make you angry at all, simply smug at being right. But you were livid. I doubt all that displeasure is on your sister’s behalf. In fact, I suspect, Ms. Quinn, that you have more than a passing interest in me. You were jealous.”
Apprehension raced through her veins. He was uncomfortably close to the truth. “You’re egotistical.”
“But I’m right.” He gave her a tight smile. “For the record, if I intended to disregard policy and pursue a woman in the office, I wouldn’t bother with your sister. As you say, she’s naive and provides no challenge. But you . . . You would be far more interesting. Pretty, strong, smart, not easily bendable. Color me intrigued.”
She tensed. “I’m your boss.”
“Temporarily. We’re both adults. Surely neither of us are prone to torrid emotional attachments. We could keep business separate from personal, couldn’t we?”
Normally, she’d say yes. But working with him constantly buzzing around her, asking questions, and watching her every move had already dented her focus. “I have no intention of becoming your next conquest.”
“I never planned to pursue you.”
Jolie wondered why, then dismissed the question as she buttoned her red coat. “Perfect. There’s nothing left to say except I’m sorry for intruding on your evening. I hope we can forget this by morning.”
She had to get out of here. She’d overplayed her hand and needed to regroup, to think about how to treat him tomorrow. The last thing she wanted was for Heath Powell to decide she was a challenge he should convert into his next bed partner after all. Normally, the sexual urges of a man wouldn’t concern her unless she was interested. If so, she found a way to have him for a night or two, then ended it.
Something told her that nothing with Heath would ever be that simple.
But when Jolie turned her back on him and headed for the parking lot, he snaked an arm around her middle and pulled her against his big, steely body. “I never planned to pursue you . . . but I’ve changed my mind.”

~~Get your copy TODAY~~
AMAZON // Nook // iBooks // Kobo // Google Play //  Audible


~~The Series~~


No comments:

Post a Comment