Netgalley Top Reviewer

Professional Reader Reviews Published 2016 NetGalley Challenge 200 Book Reviews #BookAdvocatesUnite

21 February 2017

❤❤CHEATER by Rachel Van Dyken 4.5 star review ❤❤ @rachelvd

My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars




Lucas Thorn wasn’t born a cheater. All it took was a single moment—say, a certain disastrous incident on the night before his wedding—and boom. Reputation destroyed forever and always. So now he owns it. He has a lady friend for every night of the week (except Sundays—God’s day and all), and his rules are simple: No commitments. No exceptions.

But a certain smart-mouthed, strawberry blonde vixen is about to blow that all to hell.

Avery Black has never forgiven Lucas for cheating on her sister. And suddenly being forced to work with him is pretty much a nightmare on steroids. Of course, it does afford her the opportunity to make his life as difficult as possible. But no good revenge scheme comes without payback. Because he didn’t become the Lucas Thorn without learning a few things about women.

Now Avery’s lust for vengeance has turned into, well, lust. And if Lucas stops cheating, it’s definitely not because he’s falling in love…




*ARC provided for an honest and unbiased review*

I am going to say that I am giving this 4.5 stars right now. But there were some issues I ran into as far as editing. Thatch said Austin asked for more, then Austin said Thatch asked for exclusivity. Lucas pulling down her zipper to lift her dress up over her tooshie..stuff like that, that I'm sure was caught during editing. And if it was changed, then this would be a 5 star read for me.

I think this was a fabulously written rom-com. There were moments that I literally laughed out loud at the things that would come out of Avery's mouth, and the timing on each of them was hands-down perfect.

"I looked up at Lucas and grinned, suddenly feeling quite pleased with the whole situation when I answered. 'Well, he's really small.' Dr. Dupper burst out laughing. And suddenly? The whole trip to the gyno. Worth it."

Do you see what I mean there. Can you just imagine the scenario that Lucas and Avery find themselves in that that happened? Believe me, you can't. Between the parents, the psycho sister, and the revolving door of women, I didn't think I was really going to like this. Especially with how he views his 'calendar'. I thought it was just going to be another manwhore book and I was so wrong, and I am so pleasantly surprised . I'm so in love with the way Lucas and Avery's story started way way back in the day and evolved to now. The anger, the passion, the intensity, and of couse that humor!

Rachel has done such a great job of taking a love story, that could have been so run of the mill and making it one of the best rom-com's I've read. The awkwardness of Avery and the way she just can not lie, mixed with the anger she has with Lucas and how she's trying to punish him, makes this one of the best books I've read this year.

Don't get me wrong, RVD has also delivered a fabulous love story intermixed with all this humor. Lucas and Avery know each other, heck they were almost family. Were pretty much family. And they had feelings they were both denying, as he was about to be family. But one spiteful, crazy sister and one drunk night can ruin lives. In this case, it ruined friendships and families.

There were only a few things I wished for with this. Avery says that her sisters always make her feel like less, but we never really got to see that when they interacted. Minus, Brooke's antics at the party. But I will say that I think Avery handled that pretty well. But we don't see it from Kayla, not how Avery claims it was. I kind of wanted to see that. I wanted to see her stick up for herself against those always holding her back or bringing her down. Especially with the things she said Kayla used to do and say to her when she was with Lucas. She never talked about it with Lucas or Kayla. I would have liked to see that elaborated on. Don't ask me why. I would have also liked more Austin and Thatch... but I have a feeling there may be a reason RVD left that little loose end untied.

I think this really was a great great book. I really highly recommend it if you are looking for a hot, sexy, funny read.


~~GET YOUR COPY TODAY~~
Release Date Feb 28

No comments:

Post a Comment