Netgalley Top Reviewer

Professional Reader Reviews Published 2016 NetGalley Challenge 200 Book Reviews #BookAdvocatesUnite

13 February 2017

❤❤Devil and the Deep by Julie Ann Walker 4 Star Review❤❤

My Rating:  4 out of 5

Cocktail parties, political fundraisers, and charity events are Maddy Powers' way of life. But the daring man who appropriated her father's yacht a couple of months ago is still out there, somewhere, and she wants to pay him back for the scorching kiss they shared.

Behind his suave smile and ladykiller eyes, Bran Palladino carries a dark secret that keeps him from pursuing Maddy… even though he can't get her out of his head. But when Maddy is kidnapped as part of a grand scheme, it's time to put up or shut up… because Bran can't live without Maddy now.

Hotness Rating 3 out of 5

This 2nd book of the Deep Six series by Julie Ann Walker was quite the ride. Devil and the Deep was action packed and kept you on your toes. Well, at least it did once the action started. The first 10% or so was a bit slow moving, but that's about all it took for me to be invested. I have read several reviews where the language and manner of speak annoyed some readers. None of this bothered me. Knowing many down home Texans I didn't find the phrases out of place coming from a born and bred Texas gal. Bran and all of his crazy quoting of movies and ridiculous phrases just made me laugh out loud. Seriously, some of them were way cheesy, but they were cheesy in a funny, endearing way. Or at least for me they were.

I liked Bran quite a bit as a character, but considered kicking him in the knee towards the end. His childhood left him scarred and I get that, but it makes me a bit crazy when these characters find the perfect match and watch them walk away all in the name of protecting them from a future that may never happen. With that being sad he made me laugh quite a bit which gives him even more points than being all hot and sexy in my book. His story made me cry and actually made me hurt for him.

Maddy was a spitfire that I enjoyed a ton. Raised in the lap of Texas oil luxury she could have been the quintessential entitled spoiled debutante that fills the tabloids every day of the week. Instead she was philanthropic and smart. She had a huge heart and didn't hide it. 

I will agree with a couple other reviewers in that the surprising twist to this book was Mason and Alex. The sparks and witty back and forth banter between this couple stole the show. I absolutely can not wait to read their story. I have such high hopes for it.

For me this was a 4 star read

Get your copy 
Amazon US // B&N // Kobo // iBooks // Google Books

No comments:

Post a Comment